What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, other than an individual’s business title or business contact information. Personal information (e.g. name, address, age, credit card information, banking information) does not include information that cannot be associated with or tracked back to a specific individual. Information that is publicly available, such as a telephone book listing, is also not considered to be personal information.
What information does Fanconi Canada collect?
- contact and identification information, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address
- donation information such as date of gift, amount of gift, the campaign you contributed to, name of spouse or partner if a joint gift
- financial information such as your payment methods and preferences, billing and banking information (credit card number and expiry date or chequing account transit numbers, in order to process your donation); for online financial transactions such as donations and event registrations, we process standard credit card information (card number, card type and expiration date).
Some of the information we collect is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (e.g. income tax receipts). There are also circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include:
- where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal
- where we believe, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group
- where the information is public
We generally collect your personal information directly from you and only with your consent. In addition, we will not collect or use personal information about you from a third party without your express consent. We will usually obtain your consent at the time that we collect your personal information. If the purpose for using your personal information changes from the time since such consent was obtained, we will advise you of this purpose before such use or disclosure.
(2) Website generated information: “cookies” and "tags" on www.fanconicanada.org
Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie – this gives you the chance to decide whether to accept it. To learn more about cookies and how to change your settings, please use the help function in your browser. The alerts will be quite frequent, however, and may eventually become annoying.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information for fundraising, to process donations, to respond to requests for services and information, and to keep you informed about our activities.
We may also use the information you provide to us in the following ways:
- to assist in the development of new programs, events, and services
- to provide donation recipients with summary or aggregate information about our donations, programs and services
- for internal research purposes
When do we disclose your personal information?
We share your personal information only with volunteers who require such information to establish, manage and maintain our relationship with you. We do not use third party service providers.
Accuracy of information
We aim to ensure that any personal information provided is accurate, complete and current as required for the purposes for which the information is used.
Retention of personal information
We keep personal information only as long as it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the program, service or event and the nature of the information, for example we generally keep financial information for 6 years, in accordance with CRA rules and regulations. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required, the information is either physically destroyed or deleted.
Links to other websites from www.fanconicanada.ca
We provides links to other websites that may be of interest to you. As we have no control over the content of any of these websites, these links may be updated or deleted as we deem appropriate.
Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites that we link to. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
Inquiries and requests for access
P.O. Box 38157
Toronto, ON M5N 3A9
Telephone: (416) 489-6393
Fax: (416) 489-6393
Please note that a fee may apply in processing your request depending on the type and volume of information requested.
If you are not happy with the way that we have handled your inquiry, or have a concern about our privacy practices that you feel we have not addressed satisfactorily, you can contact the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at:
112 Kent Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 1H3
Tel: 1 800 282-1376
Fax: (613) 947-6850